Monday, September 16, 2013

Segregation - Integration Memories

Yesterday was the end of a week long 50th Year Celebration of the Civil Rights Movement in Birmingham.

So it seems like a good idea to pull together in one place the links to previous posts I've made of my memories during the Civil Rights Era. I lived and went to school in Birmingham, Alabama, until after I married in the 60's and then taught nearby when Integration was just beginning. So I think my memories represent some unique views on the events of that time. With that said, here are some posts you might want to read. Your comments are certainly encouraged!

See Dick See Jane

Jim Crow Rides the Train - Chicago Train Memories Part II

Historic High School Memories Part I

Historic High School Memories Part II

Integration Memories Part II - Stand in the Schoolhouse Door

Integration Memories Part III

Black Like Me

Integration Memories

Integration Memories - A Final Look

If you are old enough to have memories of that era, I would love to hear from you. I realize some of my old students may read some of these posts, but I have written how things seemed to me at the time.

I have grown to love the community we have lived in for the last 42 years and have tried my best to be equally considerate of every student I ever worked with, regardless of racial or economic background. I can only hope that they would agree with me on that.

3 comments:

Anji said...

I've just read all of your posts. How things have changed over the last few decades.

I was thrown in at the deep end whan I started teaching teenagers. I worked with 'problem' children. they'd never had English lessons before and there was no material so I made it up as I went along. the last year I taught a 2 day course was designed for us and I was pleased to see that I'd got it right.

I tried to break up a fight once between two boys who were a lot bigger than me. I tried to get between them, like I'd do with my own sons (who were a lor smaller at the time); Some of the other boys rescued me, I was amazed at how protective they were.

Have you seen the "Blue eyes Brown eyes" experiment?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXvtDpgrtVE

I found your blog on ExposeYourBlog!

Rosemary said...

I have seen the Blue Eyes Brown Eyes experiment, but not on Youtube. It's creepy to see how easily human beings cling to any perceived superiority, and how easy it is to provoke the kinds of frustration and resentment that come from being Second Class Citizens.

Frank King said...

I just read all of your posts. I was fascinated by all the rich history you lived through during those very painful years. Based on the character of person I perceive you to be, I am sure you had some agonizing moments based on what you had to see. Thanks for sharing these.
Frank