Wednesday, August 13, 2008

CHILDREN ARE NOT PERFECT!!!!


Yang Peiyi SINGS - Lin Miaoke - SMILES!!


Ok, I thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics opening ceremony, as I always have. Some of the synchronized parts involving such huge numbers of Chinese was truly amazing, although at a few spots I did get a horrible flashback to the Berlin Olympics. Maybe I'm the only person who even thought about that, but such perfection in such large numbers of people makes it hard to understand a society where the individual is subordinate to the common good.

That's why I am so disappointed, no OUTRAGED, although frankly not surprised, to read this morning that the precious little girl, with the crystal clear voice, was NOT SINGING the Chinese National Anthem!!

It has been revealed that the child who REALLY sang was not considered cute enough ... that she did not portray the proper image of the Chinese people at what they considered to be the most important part of the ceremony ... when the Chinese flag was brought into the stadium.

So, all those perfectly performing thousands, acting with one mind .....


And then one little girl, singled out ... alone in the spotlight ... and IT WAS FAKE!!!!

Yes, I think China DID "portray the proper image of the Chinese people"!!!!

But the message that was sent to the inner core of YANG PEIYI, the little girl who REALLY sang?? I don't care how indoctrinated they are, that child is hurt. She may never say or do anything to show it, but there is a part of her self image that will never be the same!

If you have been reading this blog for any length of time you know that I don't normally deviate from talking about my own childhood memories, but I just couldn't help myself this morning.

6 comments:

the fat girl said...

yes, i agree with you. our obsession with surface beauty has even spilled over to our children. how sad...

Rosemary said...

In this case it didn't have anything to do with weight. The child with the beautiful voice looks like the majority of Chinese who have Mongolian genes. The child they showed looks like those who have Japanese genes from the occupation of China.

The same thing happens in India with light skin and dark skinned casts, and in the USA with "white" and "colored", ie anyone with darker skin from American Indians to Mexicans to African Americans.

Prejudice is prejudice, no matter how cutely it is packaged.

Naomi said...

I didn't agree with this either Rosemary. It was very prejudiced and so unfair on that little girl.

Rosemary said...

We eat regularly on Sunday's at a nearby Chinese restaurant. The people are all friendly and super aware of customer service, so we keep going back. All of them have the round flat Mongolian faces. I can just imagine how they felt - bursting with pride for the Chinese people of their ancestry, but saddened by the hiding of the face of an angelic little girl.

I'm STILL mad!!

The Gatekeeper said...

I'm so speechless . . . I prayed for Yang today.

Rosemary said...

It would be great if we could find out what may or may not have happened to her after the Olympics. I hope she is getting recognition for her beautiful voice.

Have you quit blogging, Gatekeeper?

And yes, all I have to do is think about it, and I'm mad all over again!!! GRRRRRR!!!!